In Florida, and everywhere else in the world, people have to live with the elements and protect themselves the best they can. Taking care of your feet is just as important as any other part of your body, as you have to use your feet every day. Dr. Rajnish Manohar, an experienced podiatrist with offices in Brandon and Zephyrhills, would like to give you some important tips on how you can take care of your feet.
Here are your foot care tips:
- Cut toe nails thoroughly and always cut them directly across, never at an angle or down the edges. This can cause ingrown toe nails.
- The UV indexes in Florida are extremely high, especially in the Summer time. Remember to apply sunscreen all over your feet, particularly the tops and fronts of ankles, and don’t forget to reapply after you have actually been in the water.
- Stay hydrated by drinking a lot of water throughout the day. This will certainly not just help with total health, but will certainly also decrease any foot swelling caused by the heat.
- Limit walking barefoot as it exposes feet to sunburn, along with plantar warts, athlete’s foot, ringworm, and other infections and also increases risk of injury to your feet.
- Some activities at the beach, lake or river may use different kinds of shoes to be put on so make sure to ask the contact at each activity if specific shoes are required. To be safe, always pack an additional pair of tennis shoes or protective water shoes. If your shoes will certainly be getting wet, they must be dried completely prior to your next using to prevent germs or fungus from growing.
- Wash your feet often. As a matter of fact, don’t go to sleep without washing your feet. If you leave dirt on the skin’s surface area, it can become inflamed and contaminated. Wash your feet every evening with soap and water.
- Dry your feet completely after washing them, especially between the toes which is where germs such as Athlete’s foot can easily breed. Then, apply a moisturizing foot cream (not body lotion).
- Gently get rid of tough skin and calluses with a pumice stone or foot file routinely.
- Shop for shoes in the afternoon. Feet swell as the day goes on and if shoes fit in the afternoon when your feet are at their biggest, you can be ensured they will certainly always be comfortable.
- For women, it’s important to limit time wearing high heels. Put on high heels and pointed shoes for special celebrations and always use the right shoes for the job (so no sandals for mountain climbing).
- This should be a no-brainer, but change your socks often to prevent foot odor.
- Keep an eye out for foot bugs in communal changing areas. Use flip-flops to avoid catching athlete’s foot and verrucas when you use public locations such as health club showers, pool or hotel bathrooms.
- Many Florida residents wear flip flops, but do not put on flip-flops all the time. They do not offer support for your feet and can provide you arch and heel discomfort if you use them too much.
- If you’re in your senior years (age 60+) foot care ends up being even more important. When you get older, your skin thins, your joints begin to stiffen and your feet become more susceptible to the cold.
Learn the best practices to take care of your feet. If you would like more helpful foot care tips or need to treat a foot condition, call Dr. Rajnish Manohar at his Brandon office (813) 502-5904 or in Zephyrhills (813) 782-3233. Alternately, you can submit a request by clicking the button below to schedule an appointment.
[button style=”btn-default btn-lg btn-block” icon=”fa fa-clock-o” align=”left” iconcolor=”#dd9933″ type=”link” target=”false” title=”Schedule an Appointment” link=”https://www.gentlefootdoctor.com/schedule-appointment/”]
Dr. Manohar has been in private practice as a Podiatrist in Zephyrhills since 2001, treating Foot and Ankle Pain including Diabetic Foot Pain and Neuropathy, as well as, providing routine Diabetic Foot Care.
Dr. Manohar is board certified by the American Board of medical specialties in Podiatric Medicine. He is a member of the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine. Dr. Manohar resides in Temple Terrace, Florida.
Dr. Manohar specializes in treating foot and ankle pain, Plantar Fasciitis and Heel spurs, Neuromas, Peripheral Neuropathy, Ingrown toenails, Non healing wounds, corns, calluses, Warts, Cysts, Toenail fungus.